Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Will is all made


Hubby and I had some free time. We sent our son to grandma and grandpa's for a few days so we can be together before "D" day. We also took advantage of this time to take care of a few errands. One of the errands was having our wills made. Fun times. This is just how I wanted to spend my free time. We called Legal and made an appointment. They sent us an email with information on making a will and what all the terms meant, forms to fill out, and a memo stating it wasn't recommended to bring childen since it would take 3 hours to complete a will. As I filled out the sheets I started to feel sad as I hoped no one would ever have to see these pappers. Although I like to be prepared this wan't the best thing I had to do. The main reason we were having these made was to appoint a guardian for our son. The other questions on the form asked for a representative; a perosn to execute the will. They asked for a guardian and a trustee and at what age our son would have access to his trust. The 2nd packet was for a medical directive.  Who would have medical authority over me if I was unable to decide for myself and if I wanted to be on life support or not.
The day of our appointment we should up to legal and they signed us in. We waited a few minutes to see the lawyers (we had 2 separate ones). The lawyers typed whatever we had filled out on the forms into the computer. They then took us back to have our wills notarized and witnessed. We were out of Legal in about an hour and half. The most important thing the lawyer said to me was
"The soldiers DD93 WILL override the will. Make sure your DD 93 is accurate"
The DD 93 is the Record of Emergency Data. I will get more into this form in my CARE team post. Having a will is a great thing to have for your children. There will be no doubt or arguing on who the guardian is going to be. Parents lets put our minds at ease and make sure our children are taken care of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment