Saturday, August 28, 2010

Somethings wrong with this Picture

So thankfully this move has been a success. The packers arrived promptly at 9am. 2 women. They came in looked around and went to their truck (size of a uhaul) to gather their materials. They started packing the master bedroom. I had stepped out to changed my son's pamper and when I walked in most of the room had been packed. I don't really have nice breakable things so I wasn't worried about that. They were just so quick that honestly I don't think they had time to go through things. Whatever I had that was breakable was nicey packed and labled. I was very confident about these packers and would recommend them to others. The one thing I did not care for and actually really bothered me was when they packed a "valuable" item in a box they put the name of the item and the serial number on it. Since our things were to sit in storage briefly I was uncomfortable with this, but they said it was policy. I later called and was told it was. There was a brief 30 minute delay between the packers and the movers. Although it was nice that the packers were not the movers. The driver was a little annoyed that it was not mentioned in his paperwork that he also had to pick up at our storage unit. He was driving a semi and no way was he going to make it in the storage unit. His attitude quickly changed and he was very thorough and proficient with his inventory of our boxes. Actually he was almost a little to thorough and didn't leave for our storage until 4:30 pm. He arrived at 12:30. My husband went with them to our storage and helped them move the boxes from there because we were tired and hungry.
We went house hunting (rental) this past Monday and did find a house we did like BUT what a crappy property manager. When they charge the previous tenant for damages done I would think they would fix the damages before they tried to rent the property again. Well not this place. Most of the damages are things we don't mind replacing like torn screens but when a dog destroyed the siding on the house to expose studs and water pipes then I am going to raise hell.


We were told that when the inspector comes out to go over our move in checklist with us he will "decide" whether things need to be replaced. If this is blatantly obvious that this needs to be fixed then I am going to raise all kinds of hell. It was a nice house, was available now and was a good deal that's why we overlooked it. Tuesday is when the inspector comes so we'll see what happens then. Also they gave us the wrong zip code so when I called USAA to move things over the agent noticed that I had the wrong zip. That meant I had to call all of our utilities over AGAIN because I was given the wrong zip.  
Tell me since when has it taken 3-5 business days to have the electricity turned on! I have paid a prorated rent but can't "move in" until the 31st because the electricity isn't on. I really feel like I am being scammed.

1 comment:

  1. Two women movers! I'm impressed. In all my time as an Army brat, and now in my (as of yet short) time as an Army partner, I've never seen such a thing.
    Glad your PCS seems to have gone well.

    ReplyDelete