Thursday, April 14, 2011

Stillhouse Hollow Lake



This past weekend the fam bam and I went to Stillhouse. I was honestly looking for Chalk Ridge Falls Park to relive some of my single party days (ha ha) but took the wrong exit and wound up at Stillhouse Park. There is a $4 per car fee. We had never been to this park before so we drove around. We first saw the Marina. We noticed that  they offered Scuba Diving lessons. We saw a couple of people bobbing up and down in the lake practicing. I'm pretty sure that boats can be rented since prior to now you were able but the website said to call for any questions.


We then drove to the designated swimming areas. They had lots of picnic areas, restrooms, volleyball courts and a roped off swimming area. We parked and almost got blown away. As we got closer to the water it was worse I had no idea how the people could stand it but after a while you got used to it. My son who is actually a fish, was practically in the water when we got there. I took of his shoes thinking he wouldn't go very far in since it was cold water but he proved me wrong. He was having an absolute ball. We decided to hang out for a bit. It was a nice hot day so why not. After we got the "fish" out of the water, we changed his clothes and left. I was determined to find my river hangout.


So we got back on 190 and I saw the exit from Stillhouse DAM. "Oooh thats the exit." Oops. This exit you pass Overlook park (really just a scenic overlook), cross the dam, and directly on your left is the entrance for Chalk Ridge Falls Park. This place is mostly a nature trail that runs along the Lampasas River. It is free to enter. We used to come out here and hang out at the river, jump off cliffs, and pretty much get into trouble. I brought the family here because it is a great place to explore and walk a 5 mile trail. The trail is a granite trail. We didn't last very long there we went out a bit. Took a picture of the little fall and went back. By then the "fish" was exhaused and we were all hungry. It was time to go back, clean up and go out to eat. This was one of the best family weekends ever. Well, until this weekend when we go to Fiesta.

No comments:

Post a Comment