Friday, April 29, 2011

Fiesta & Easter

These past 2 weeks have been busy, busy, busy. April the 16th my family and I, along with the grandparents went to the Flambeau parade. It is the night parade that is apart of Fiesta San Antonio. I have been going to this parade since I was maybe 9 yrs old. I am very happy that I get to share this tradition with my son and he really enjoys it too. Fiesta has been a part of San Antonio history since 1891. Women decorated carriages, baby buggies and bicycles with live flowers, met in front of the Alamo, to honor the heroes of the Alamo and Battle of San Jacinto with a Battle of Flowers. There are over 100 events that you can enjoy over 11 days. For more info check out: Fiesta San Antonio  We got to San Antonio early Saturday morning so that I go hit up the salon for Fiesta beautification. (ha ha) We left for downtown around 4:30pm (the vanguard starts at 6:30pm we are at the end of the 3 mile route) and were very happy to find close FREE parking. We hit up the square in front of the San Fernando Cathedral where there were tons of food stands. I bought a Pina Cola in a souvenir cup that came with a free refill and a corn on the cob. My hubby bought Fajita tacos and Aquas Fresca  and we bought my mom a fruit cup. My son befriended the little boy that was sitting next to us so they shared all their snacks and cascarones. Finally the parade started and my sons face lit up with excitement. I don't know if it was the gaps in the parade or my son becoming impatient (probably it) but this parade seemed to last forever! My husband and I were very relieved when it finally ended.

Love the Shriners and their cars

The police are the beginning of the parade

 One of the many dance troops

Easter was exhausting. I felt like I was making Thanksgiving dinner all over again. We are a family of 3 so I don't make big meals; but with my parents and brother coming over I have to cook for 6. They came the night before and my brother and I played a killer  game of monopoly. I lost horribly. Then we stayed up late watching ghost stories. It was nice to hang out with someone. My old man husband is always in bed by 10 no matter what day. Easter morning I had to wake up and make breakfast. Papas con huevo tacos. Then had to start cooking for early bird dinner. I made Steakhouse potato Salad, Pasta Salad, Asparagus, Taco Dip, Deviled eggs, and fresh lemonade. An easy menu for some but like I said I cook for 3 and hate cooking. My husband and dad cooked the brisket on the grill. After we ate my son got his easter basket complete with Spiderman action figure that he broke in all of 30 seconds. He went outside and had an easter egg hunt and broke cascarones. He tries to save his cascarones but we he discovered he had more that 1 he went nuts. Overall a successful easter.
The little one hunting eggs in my garden

He found a Spongebob Candy dispenser near my caterpillar eaten (grr) bougainvillea 




No comments:

Post a Comment