Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary

On April 1st the family and I decided to go to the zoo. I had planned on going to Waco but my husband mentioned the Austin zoo. Thinking that it would be a nice big "city" zoo I agreed. I looked up the website Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary to find the address and admission prices. I should have done a little more homework because when we arrived it was not what I expected.

Now there wasn't anything "wrong" with it. I just wish I would have actually "read" the website. "Zoo" should be used very loosely. It is more of an animal sanctuary. "The mission of Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary is to assist animals in need through rescue, rehabilitation and education." In saying that, that is all they have. If the animal is not a rescue then they don't have it. If they didn't rescue an elephant, they don't have an elephant. This is a very good organization and I love the idea of it being an animal rescue but I don't like the idea of "zoo." I have been to San Antonio, Denver, Colorado Springs and Fresno Zoos; That is what I am used to. That was the major upset for me.


It is located in the Texas Hill Country and anyone who's from Texas knows the hill country is covered in Mesquite and Cedar trees. I don't tend to have allergies but this place was absolutely covered in it, that you could smell it. Of course this is no fault of the zoo but I was miserable. And to make matters worse the ground is not paved it is "crushed granite gravel." So it was just a dusty miserable place for me.  "I" didn't mind walking on gravel, that is not a big deal to me but my nose has a different opinion. I did also see a few woman struggling with strollers. I think a jogging stroller would be beneficial at this place.


Now a good thing was  the "animals are housed in native Texas Hill Country enclosures created to fit in naturally on our grounds that allow the animals to enjoy real grass and landscaping as opposed to concrete exhibits." This was very nice. They had a lioness and a tiger that just about walked right up to fence. Beautiful animals. There is also a train that you can take. We didn't get on it so I can't really say where it takes you. It is an additional charge aside from admission.


Overall this isn't a bad place. It just let me down. I had high expectations. The animals are taken care of and rehabilitated so I guess that's all that matters. So make sure you put on your walking shoes (allergy pills) and have a nice day in the Texas Hill Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment